The Best Overland Vehicles To Go Off-Grid
The freedom of the open road takes on a new meaning in these overland vehicles. You won’t even need the road! These rigs give you the freedom to explore anywhere on Earth in comfort and style. Overland vehicles provide amenities like full kitchens, bathrooms, bedrooms and more, wherever you choose to explore.
From pop-up truck campers to semi trailer-sized expedition overland trucks, there is something for everyone who wants to get off-grid in a big way. Here are 3 fantastic overland vehicles that will get you wherever you want to go.
Rolling Homes Expedition Camper Van
Rolling Homes Expedition camper van is a compact overland vehicle that is fully equipped to take you and a lucky friend anywhere in stylish comfort. Built on a beefed-up VW chassis, the Expedition features extra underbody protection, diff locks, and a powerful enough engine to actually get you places.
This camper really makes your adventures unstoppable. Here are a few of the features you will find inside this amazing little overland vehicle.
- Side kitchen layout with a 2-burner stainless steel propane stove, sink, and 50-liter refrigerator/freezer
- 4 sleeping berths including a double bed in the elevated roof
- Handmade lightweight solid oak cabinetry
- Fully insulated camper with eco-friendly sheep wool
- 120 amp leisure battery that runs all 12v fitting and ultra-low power LED lighting
- Blackout curtains on a twin-track system behind timber window panels and cab blinds
- Blown air heating system
- DAB 5” touch screen, Bluetooth radio, electric windows and mirrors
There is no bathroom in this camper, but those requiring a more livable, expedition-style, overland truck, check out our next offering.
EarthRoamer is a US manufacturer of amazing overland trucks, the smallest of which is the LTI at a total length of 29′. Solidly built on a Ford F550 chassis with a unique, completely carbon fiber body, these overland trucks are packed with incredible features.
The beastly EarthRoamer LTi is guaranteed to keep you comfortable wherever you choose to roam. These tough overland vehicles are designed for longer off-grid meanderings with the following tank capacities:
- Diesel: 100 gallons
- Fresh Water: 100 gallons
- Grey Water: 40 gallons
EarthRoamer wants you to have lots of power while you are off-grid too. 1320 watts of solar power and a massive 11000-watt hour lithium-ion battery bank make it possible to really go anywhere you want and stay for extended periods of time.
EarthRoamer lets you choose between 5 floor plans that all include luxury finishes including:
- A full bathroom with a stainless steel sink and a cassette toilet and full height shower
- A 2-burner induction stovetop
- Big stainless steel kitchen sink
- Pantry storage
- 8 cu. foot refrigerator/freezer combo
- Oodles of interior storage
- 80 x 72 inch bed
- Lots of basement storage
- Bose sound system
For a closer look at the EarthRoamer LTi, check out our previous article here.
Action Mobil Global XRS 7400
Action Mobil’s Global XRS 7400 is a huge, three-axle luxury 4×4 motorhome. At 32.5 feet long, it’s one of the largest overland trucks from Austria-based Action Mobil.
The Global XRS 7400 offers plenty of space and luxury for any off-grid 4×4 expedition you can imagine. These overland trucks are jaw-dropping in every aspect.
Built on a MAN chassis, the XRS 7400 has 3 axles and air ride suspension, so even though you’ll be going to remote locations, it won’t feel like it. Heated leather ventilated seats will keep you comfy no matter how long your expedition is.
Plenty of features on the inside make this a truly livable overland motorhome. Here are a few of the interior features that really stand out:
- 4-burner gas cooktop
- A dishwasher
- Gas oven
- Convection microwave oven
- A big fridge
- Miele washer/dryer
- Custom cabinetry throughout
- Drawers that are specially designed to hold glassware, cookware, dining ware, and utensils securely
- A full bathroom with a heated towel bar
- Generous storage
- Comfortable sleeping berths for up to 6 people
- Customizable interior design
Get a closer look at the Global XRS 7400 in this video:
If you like these overland vehicles, check out the New Sportsmobile Classic 4×4 Camper.
Lynne Fedorick is a freelance writer with 35 years of RVing experience. She specializes in topics such as fulltime RV life, great destinations for RVers, RV organization, RV News, RV tech, and dog behavior/training.