4 Best Travel Trailers For Full Time RV Living
Setting out on the journey to full time RV living can be daunting for many people. Deciding on which trailer to call home can be one of the most difficult decisions you will make when you are in the planning stages.
Luckily, there are no hard and fast rules, as the decision on which travel trailer to buy will depend on your individual needs. Here are a few things to consider.
Considerations for full time RV living
- How much space will you and your family need to be comfortable and happy?
- How much towing capacity does your tow vehicle have?
- Will you be boondocking or living in RV parks?
- How comfortable are you with backing a trailer?
- Will you require a dedicated work space?
- How much storage space will you need?
- What size kitchen do you need?
Best travel trailers for full time RV living
There are many different travel trailers out there that are suitable for full timers. We’ve researched and found 4 of the very best travel trailers for full time RV living, each with a unique, livable design.
“It’s hard to imagine a product that checks as many boxes as an RV for the emerging pandemic lifestyle,”Bob Wheeler, Airstream CEO
The Airstream Classic is Airstream’s flagship travel trailer. It’s hard to think of a travel trailer more suited to full time RV living. The Airstream Classic has literally all the bells (a doorbell is standard on this rig) and whistles you could want in a streamlined tow-behind.
Here are just some of the luxurious features that make the Airstream Classic our favorite in the 33-foot travel trailer class.
- Sleeps 4-6
- Smart touch System Controls
- Power awning
- Power jack
- Power beds
- Quiet air conditioning with heat pump technology
- Rearview monitor
- Premium audio
- 60-inch projection screen TV
- Top-of-the-line kitchen with real wood custom cabinetry
- Heated shower floor
- Heated bathroom towel bar
- Retractable clothesline in the shower
- Illuminated exterior door handle and steps
- Two 40 lb propane tanks
- Exterior shower
- Dedicated work station with WiFi and USB ports
Northwood Arctic Fox 28′
Northwood designs its travel trailers for year-round use, even in places where cold winters are the norm. The Arctic Fox series is built on an off-road chassis and is fully insulated throughout to keep you warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
A curved roof allows water to run off to keep moisture out of the trailer. The Arctic Fox even has heated tanks and pipes to keep all the liquids flowing, even in sub-zero temperatures. What really makes the Arctic Fox stand out are the quality workmanship and features that go into this trailer. Here are a few of the features we liked the best:
- Sleeps 2 to 4
- Loads of storage throughout including a large pantry
- Entertainment center with a built-in fireplace, hidden electronics charging station, TV, stereo, and even a built-in whiteboard.
- 10 cubic foot fridge and freezer
- A residential-style oven, 3-burner stove, and microwave
- Quality wood cabinetry
- Large bathroom with spacious shower
- 5 USB charging ports
- Built-in WiFi Booster
- Back up monitor
- Ladder and rooftop storage
- Bumper sewer hose caddy
- Built-in solar panels
- Power jacks
- 5-point leveling system
- 3 interior color options
Forest River R-POD 189
If you are going to go small, the R-POD 189 is worth checking out. The Forest River 189 is a good choice for solos or happy couples who tow with a smaller truck or mid-sized SUV that has a less than 5500 lb towing capacity.
Inside the R-POD 189, you’ll find a comfortable layout with sofa seating directly across from your TV & entertainment center, which makes a separate living room & bedroom design.
Unlike many trailers in the under 22′ category, the R-POD 189 has a dry bath and a queen bed. The kitchen essentials include a 2-burner cooktop, convection microwave, refrigerator, and pantry storage. You’ll find a reasonable amount of storage space throughout the trailer too.
Here are some of its top features:
- 13.5K BTU air conditioner and 20000 BTU furnace
- Convection microwave oven
- LED flat-screen TV
- 6 cu ft G/E Double Door 3 way Refrigerator
- A two-burner recessed cooktop w/flush mount glass cover
- 12V demand water pump
- 55 amp converter w/ charger
- 4-speed MaxxAir® Fan
- Thetford™ toilet
- 2 USB charging ports
- Dinette folds into a double bed for additional sleeping space
Airstream Bambi 19CB Travel Trailer
If you are a solo camper who loves the outdoors and doesn’t need much space, a tiny, under 20′ travel trailer might be for you. There are no travel trailers under 20 feet that can match the Airstream Bambi for attention to detail and quality.
The Airstream Bambi doesn’t skimp on any of the quality or luxurious features that Airstream products are well known for. Here are some of the outstanding features the Bambi has to offer.
- Air conditioning and heating that can be run by electrical
- The kitchen has a 2-burner cooktop, microwave oven, refrigerator, and just enough storage space
- Basement storage
- Under-bed storage
- Lots of overhead storage (with LED lights) and a wardrobe
- A full, spacious bathroom with towel bars
- LED HDTV and JVC stereo
- Strategically placed USB ports
- Sleeps 2 comfortably
Colonial Airstream shared a first look at the 2020 Airstream Bambi in this video:
You can search RVs and find the perfect trailer for your full-timing adventure on RVT.com. Browse the different makes and models, both new and used, to find the one that best fits your individual needs.
If you’re thinking about full time RV living, be sure to also check out this article on The Dirty Truth Of Full-Time RVing. You can also get tips from fellow RV owners and enthusiasts on online forums such as Air Forums, Forest River Forums, and iRV2.
You can see more 2021 RVs with the RVB 2021 Model Year Guide.