Airstream announced the latest addition to its line of Touring Coaches with the introduction of the Airstream Interstate 24X. A new 4-wheel drive Class B motorhome, the Interstate 24X offers a more rugged suspension, four wheel drive, and higher ground clearance. While you won’t be taking it to the Rubicon Trail or Hell’s Revenge, the new 24X will easily get you off the grid and deep into those areas that a standard B-van might not be able to access.
Airstream Interstate 24X – The Outside
The Interstate 24X features black wheels clad in LT215/85R16 all-terrain tires. A durable black body coating protects the lower half of this RV, and runs from just under the top of the wheel wheel arch completely down through the rockers and including the bumpers. Those higher wheel arches allow for more wheel travel, and hide an air ride suspension.
Dual roof rails provide plenty of tie down opportunities for kayaks, bikes, paddleboards, snowboards, and anything else you need for that all-terrain adventure. Also up top, you’ll find a 42” LED light bar, a 13,500 BTU air conditioner, and pre-installed solar panels that charge both the house and chassis batteries. The passenger side sports a retractable awning as well. The overall height rounds out at 9ft.-9in.
Inside the 24X
The phrase, Everything old is new again, certainly applies to the interior of this new Airstream Interstate. Dark colors with red accent stripes are reminiscent of the euro automotive styling trends of the early 1980’s. Fortunately, it works for the 24X, as the only package offered. Moving front to rear, the comfortable Ultraleather captain’s chairs with red stitching are followed by a solid surface kitchen countertop (also with a red accent) with a deep sink and cover, a 2-burner cooktop, and a 0.7 cu. ft. microwave.
In the galley area you’ll find decent storage, while across the isle is a 6.0 cubic foot refrigerator freezer. A small but efficient wet bath features a shower, sink, toilet, vent, even a small mirror. It’s a great use of space. The sleeping space can be configured as two twin beds, or a single king-size sleeping area.
Airstream Interstate = Modern Conveniences
Though the styling accents might be channeling the 80’s, the new Airstream Interstate 24X is flush with modern conveniences. The Class B format, while popular with everyone, is certainly grafting itself to younger generations. To that effect, there are some terrific electronic features that those new buyers expect:
- High-Performance Resonado Speaker System with Bluetooth enabled house radio.
- Pre-wired for Airstream Connected and includes a 5G-ready cellular antenna.
- Advanced Power System includes 2 – 100 Ah Deep Cycle Lithium Battle Born Batteries (LiFePO4), 30 AMP energy management system, a 2000-watt power inverter, 300W of flexible, custom, military grade solar panels for the house batteries, an additional 100W solar panel for the chassis battery, and solar controller. Plus, portable solar panel inputs on the curb and street sides to maximize solar harvesting.
- Highly efficient Hydronic Timberline Furnace and Hot Water System designed for harsh climates and high altitudes. Includes an easy-to-use branded touch screen panel.
- Cummins Onan 2.5 KW Generator with remote and automatic generator start, high efficiency, low vibration, and noise.
- Mercedes-Benz® 3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel, 188 HP / 325 lbs torque, 7-speed automatic transmission.
The mantra for this new Class B Airstream Interstate 24X is that it is Adventure Ready. Often that adventure requires four-wheel drive, which the 24X delivers via the 4×4 drivetrain and Mercedes Benz Load-Adaptive Electronic Stability and Electronic Traction control.
Inside the 24X, an aluminum aircraft L-track storage system on the walls, ceiling, and floor creates a highly flexible storage and securing solution for all your gear. You can take your adventure gear with you, and keep it secure. Wall, ceiling, and floor materials are durable and easy to clean. Whether you’re tracking in snow or mud from your outdoor adventures, the Airstream Interstate has you covered.
Hurry Up and Wait
To learn more about the Airstream Interstate 24X, head over to Airstream.com and check out the full suite of features and information. You better place your order soon however. With parent company THOR’s reported $14B backlog, it might be several months before you can take delivery.